Oct 03, 2023
WBL 104 - Exploring Careers: Health Sciences
Last Date of Approval: Spring 2021
Total Lecture Hours: 15-45
Total Lab Hours: 0
Total Clinical Hours: 0
Total Work-Based Experience Hours: 0
This course will provide guidance in choosing a career goal and preparing for employment in Health Sciences careers. Emphasis will be placed on identifying interests, abilities, and values, and exploring options for careers. Students will learn how to access labor market information and employment trends. Additionally, students will develop the skills and aptitudes necessary to obtain employment in these fields, emphasizing the development of characteristics associated with job success.
Mode(s) of Instruction: traditional/face-to-face
Credit for Prior Learning: This course offers an opportunity for students to earn Credit for Prior Learning for skills that they have brought with them to Iowa Central. For more information, please ask the instructor and see the Iowa Central Community College catalog.
Course Fees: None
Common Course Assessment(s): None
Student Learning Outcomes and Objectives:
1. Use a variety of career planning tools and activities to assess interests, abilities, and values.
2. Develop knowledge of the relationship between education and work and how each contributes to the economy and society.
3. Examine how personal interests are reflected in career decision-making and educational advancement.
4. Develop a specific plan to align career goals with necessary education and training.
5. Utilize resources to research career options with regard to self-assessment results, employment trends, professional organizations, and labor market information.
6. Identify workplace skills of understanding, cultural sensitivity, adaptability, collegiality, empathy, and polite behavior.
Add to Pathway (opens a new window)