Oct 03, 2023
AGH 172 - Landscape Maintenance
Last Date of Approval: Spring 2021
Total Lecture Hours: 45
This course is intended to give the student valuable information in the maintenance area of landscaping. Topics range from different types of plants for different areas in a landscape, plant maintenance, lawn care, winterization, pest control and safety issues.
Mode(s) of Instruction: Traditional/Face-to-Face
Credit for Prior Learning: There are no Credit for Prior Learning opportunities for this course.
Course Fees: ebook/Access Code: $124.99 (charged once per term for all courses that use Cengage Unlimited)
Common Course Assessment(s): None
Student Learning Outcomes and Objectives:
Student Learning Outcomes:
- The student will know how to select the different plants and features that go into a landscaped area.
- Once all of the plants and features are selected for the landscaped area, the student will be able to perform the proper installation methods.
- The student will identify the different techniques used for maintaining a landscaped area.
- The origins of landscape plants
- What plant forms are available for landscaping?
- Plant nomenclature.
- How to select the proper plant for the landscaped area.
- What are the uses and limitations of flowers in the landscape?
- What are the different life spans of flowers?
- What flowers go into beds vs. flowers used for borders?
- How to design a flower planting.
- What is Xeriscaping?
- What are the benefits of xeriscaping?
- Name the seven principles of xeriscaping?
- What is a hardscape?
- How to select the right hardscape.
- The different types of water features.
- What are the different types of outdoor lighting?
- How to properly install landscape plants.
- What are the tools needed for installation of plants?
- How to select the proper grass for the area landscaped?
- The differences in turfgrasses.
- Proper lawn installation.
- Types of landscape irrigation systems.
- How to take care of plantings.
- How to prune trees and shrub.
Add to Pathway (opens a new window)