Sep 30, 2023
CIS 299 - Wordpress
Last Date of Approval: Spring 2022
Total Lecture Hours: 45
This course focuses on creating websites using WordPress. WordPress is a free open source Content Management System (CMS) and blogging tool used to create websites. WordPress can be used to create traditional blogging sites and standard static websites for business or personal use. Students will analyze third party website designs to help develop an understanding of proper web structure. Domain name registration, and hosting services are discussed. Students will utilize free, downloadable, software to host sites on localized virtual servers as well as develop sites on Iowa Central’s Webtech2 server. No previous experience with WordPress is needed. By the end of this course students will have a professional looking site, live on the internet, hosted on Webtech2. The tools and skills used in this course are the same tools and skills used by designers creating professional client-based sites.
Recommended(s): Experience with photo editing software, such as Photoshop, is helpful.
Mode(s) of Instruction: traditional/face-to-face, and/or online
Credit for Prior Learning: There are no Credit for Prior Learning opportunities for this course.
Course Fees: none
Common Course Assessment(s): none
Student Learning Outcomes and Objectives:
Student Learning Outcomes
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Use free, downloadable, software to create and locally host functioning websites utilizing WordPress for design and programming.
- Use skills from other classes, such as Vector Graphics, Photoshop, Layout Design, and Dreamweaver to design and layout effective, and functional websites.
- Ability to utilize Iowa Central’s server to load and host a site.
- Ability to effectively critique peer work.
- Students will effectively budget time and demonstrate ability to meet deadlines.
- Learn how to register domain names, purchase hosting (we will also simulate these with virtual hosting software such as MAMP)
- Install and use WordPress.
- Install WordPress editor plugins such as “Elementor” to edit sites.
- Load your final site design to the Iowa Central server.
Add to Pathway (opens a new window)