Sep 30, 2023
COM 157 - Newspaper Production
Last Date of Approval: Spring 2021
Total Lecture Hours: 0
Total Lab Hours: 30
Total Clinical Hours: 0
Total Work-Based Experience Hours: 0
This course of study provides the student with the opportunity to experience hands-on learning through the creation and production of mass communications projects such as The Collegian, podcasts, web sites, and digital news programming. Its purpose is to synthesize previous educational experiences applicable to related occupations. It is to resemble, as closely as possible, a real-life work situation. This course helps students build confidence in their communication skills while also enabling them to think critically, consider the viewpoints of others, and effectively express themselves, all of which will benefit them in the classroom, in life, and in the workforce.
Mode(s) of Instruction: traditional/ face-to-face
Credit for Prior Learning: There are no Credit for Prior Learning opportunities for this course.
Course Fees: None
Common Course Assessment(s): News Stories
Student Learning Outcomes and Objectives:
- Demonstrate understanding of journalism.
- Write effective and coherent news stories.
- Apply critical thinking skills appropriate to mass media writing and interviewing.
- Improve interviewing skills.
- Implement reporting strategies to contribute to The Collegian student newspaper.
- Students will further develop basic journalistic skills through a combination of workshop activities and practical experience with Iowa Central’s student newspaper, The Collegian.
Add to Pathway (opens a new window)