Sep 23, 2023
CRJ 141 - Criminal Investigation
Last Date of Approval: Spring 2019
Total Lecture Hours: 45
This course is designed for students majoring in criminal justice. This course examines the fundamentals of criminal investigation: rules of identification, recording reports and statements, case preparation, testifying in court, basic report writing, and investigative techniques relating to specific crimes such as robbery, burglary, homicide, and narcotics violations are explored. This course will help students refine their critical thinking skills as they evaluate various topics and concepts while searching for underlying connections between the concepts, which is a skill that should be beneficial in criminal justice careers.
Mode(s) of Instruction: traditional/face-to-face, and/or online
Credit for Prior Learning: This course offers an opportunity for students to earn Credit for Prior Learning for skills that they have brought with them to Iowa Central. For more information, please ask the instructor and see the Iowa Central Community College catalog.
Course Fees: Course Materials: $25.00
Common Course Assessment(s): None
Student Learning Outcomes and Objectives:
Student Learning Outcomes:
- discuss and differentiate investigative procedures and techniques
- differentiate and explain methods used to identify suspects of criminal investigations
- demonstrate information and evidence gathering and subsequent report writing procedures
- discuss and explain case preparation for trial
- List the goals of a criminal investigation.
- Describe procedures used in photographing a crime scene.
- Prepare an affidavit for a search warrant
- Explain methods used to search a crime scene.
- Describe interview and interrogation techniques.
- Classify personal and property crimes
- Explain methods used in a homicide investigation.
- Prepare mock investigative reports and describe proper ways to testify in court
- Describe a drug investigation and methods used by law enforcement to investigate this criminal activity.
- Describe how an undercover operations in criminal investigation.
Add to Pathway (opens a new window)