SMM 200 - Emerging Media Technologies
Last Date of Approval: Spring 2021
Total Lecture Hours: 45
Total Lab Hours: 0
Total Clinical Hours: 0
Total Work-Based Experience Hours: 0
This course offers theoretical and applied approaches to journalism and citizen media strategies and tactics needed for the profession. Sample topics include social media and journalism, breaking news journalism, ethics in journalism, and entrepreneurship in journalism. Students work in a newsroom environment to utilize mobile devices and social media platforms to identify compelling story ideas, effectively break news, and report on important news events and issues while applying theories and concepts of online social networking to journalism. This course helps students build confidence in their communication skills while also enabling them to think critically, consider the viewpoints of others, and effectively express themselves, all of which will benefit them in the classroom, in life, and in the workforce.
Mode(s) of Instruction: traditional/face-to-face
Credit for Prior Learning: There are no Credit for Prior Learning opportunities for this course.
Course Fees: None
Common Course Assessment(s): None
Student Learning Outcomes and Objectives:
• Apply networking theories and concepts to practical social media projects in
• Utilize mobile technologies as learning and reporting tools.
• Analyze and research social media needs and uses of news audiences.
• Build online communities around social media platforms.
• Produce multimedia news content for social media.
• Develop and implement personal and professional social media strategies.
• Examine and explain major concepts in working in the mass media.
• Identify appropriate strategies when conducting print and electronic media
• Execute appropriate strategies and techniques when conducting interviews in and during breaking news events.
• Use mobile communication devices for producing news stories and assess the viability of using mobile devices to create high quality journalism.
• Develop a journalism audience using social media.
Add to Pathway (opens a new window)