Sep 24, 2023
WEL 301 - Pipe Welding
Last Date of Approval: Spring 2021
Total Lecture Hours: 15
Total Lab Hours: 30
Total Clinical Hours: 0
Total Work-Based Experience Hours: 0
This course is one of a two-semester sequence where students will become proficient in the theory and application of the basics of pipe welding. Emphasis is on safety, and welding in the 1G and 2G position. Welding processes used will be SMAW, GTAW, and GMAW while welding with carbon steel and stainless steel pipe joints. Labs provide hands-on activities that help explain the lecture material. This course will help students refine their critical thinking skills in the shop as they develop their hands-on welding techniques, which will benefit the student in future welding careers. This course will also help students gain manufacturing communication skills to be used throughout their life.
Prerequisites/Corequisites: WEL 170 - Shielded Metal Arc Welding, WEL 190 - Gas Tungsten Arc Welding, WEL 181 - Gas Metal Arc Welding
Mode(s) of Instruction: Traditional/Face-to-Face
Credit for Prior Learning: This course offers an opportunity for students to earn Credit for Prior Learning for skills that they have brought with them to Iowa Central. For more information, please ask the instructor and see the Iowa Central Community College catalog.
Course Fees: $475
Common Course Assessment(s): Quizzes, Homework, Labs, Hands-On Competency/Test, Class Participation
Student Learning Outcomes and Objectives:
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Safely apply proper welding techniques for welding pipe in the 1G position.
- Safely apply proper welding techniques for welding pipe in the 2G position.
- Determine welding variables joints in the 1G and 2G pipe to control undercut, reinforcement and penetration.
- Judge quality of work compared with acceptable standards and identify weld defects and take the necessary corrective action(s).
- State safety precautions and practice safety with these welding jobs and welding machines.
- Select proper tools to prepare and set up pipe joints properly.
- Apply a working knowledge of machine settings and changes when welding different pipe joints.
Add to Pathway (opens a new window)