Dec 03, 2022
AGC 129 - Sustainable Agriculture
Last Date of Approval: Spring 2019
Total Lecture Hours: 45
Total Lab Hours: 0
Total Clinical Hours: 0
Total Work-Based Experience Hours: 0
In this course students will learn concepts on how to build a sustainable business. Students will develop a personal business plan which will include, but is not limited to, topics such as evaluating production alternatives, identifying new market opportunities, and how to communicate their ideas to lenders, business partners, and family. Learning these concepts will allow students to make educated production and financial decisions which are critical in being a successful business. The skills acquired in this class will be beneficial in any/all types of careers, particularly in agriculture when making personal operational business decisions.
Mode(s) of Instruction: Traditional/Face-to-Face
Credit for Prior Learning: There is no Credit for Prior Learning opportunities for this course.
Course Fees: None
Common Course Assessment(s): None
Student Learning Outcomes and Objectives:
- Demonstrate a solid understanding of the global sources of agricultural information such as production, yield and trade and how sustainability performance influences financial and economic performance.
- Examine how the global agriculture industry poses a great risk to sustainability but also a great opportunity for potential economic and environmental growth.
- Demonstrate an ability to evaluate, quantify and assess the sustainability of agribusinesses and describe how sustainability issues affect the various sectors of agribusiness
- Introduce Sustainable and Value-Added Agriculture: Introducing the Course Concepts, Definition, and Philosophy of Adding Value, Agricultural Sustainability, Describing Common Economic Principles, and Marketing as a Value-Adding Activity.
- Building a sustainable business: Identify Values
- Building a sustainable business: Farm History and Current Situation
- Building a sustainable business: Vision, Mission and Goals
- Building a sustainable business: Strategic Planning and Evaluation
- Building a sustainable business: Present, Implement and Monitor Your Business Plan.
Add to Pathway (opens a new window)