Dec 09, 2023
PHT 106 - Introduction to Image Editing
Last Date of Approval: Spring 2021
Total Lecture Hours: 45
Total Lab Hours: 0
Total Clinical Hours: 0
Total Work-Based Experience Hours: 0
Students will develop a basic introduction to still image manipulation using industry standard software. This course will take a look at the basic, yet powerful features of Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, and Illustrator. Students will appraise the vast possibilities of traditional tools and develop an understanding of sophisticated editing techniques. Throughout this course, students will differentiate the tools needed to be more efficient in photo-editing and to increase the flexibility and quality of their artwork. It explores the theory and application of advanced techniques for image editing, compositing, conversion, file storage, and much more. The emphasis of this course will be in developing hands-on experience by completing various technical and creative projects. This course helps students build confidence in their design and editing skills while also enabling them to think critically, consider the viewpoints of others, and effectively express themselves, all of which will benefit them in the classroom, in life, and in the workforce.
Mode(s) of Instruction: traditional/face-to-face, virtual, and/or online
Credit for Prior Learning: There are no Credit for Prior Learning opportunities for this course.
Course Fees: Course Materials: $75.00
Common Course Assessment(s): None
Student Learning Outcomes and Objectives:
- Students will embody broadened imaginative and creative powers in their body of work.
- Students will prepare relationships will local civic/non-profits photographing and creating marketing material.
- Students will demonstrate preparation for the professional filed of photography and ability to create a professional portfolio of images for specific projects.
- Students will expand their art making by engaging in a variety of approaches to photography, while incorporating a conceptual framework in their exploration.
- Students will demonstrate an advanced level of skill in the use of the Adobe creative cloud software.
- Learn to prepare an image properly.
- Develop skills in editing and processing images.
- Understand how to organize image collection.
- Learn how to properly backup images in multiple places.
- Understand the importance of remaining aware of current trends and techniques through use of Lightroom, Photoshop, and Capture One.
- Demonstrate professional aptitude using digital SLR camera at an advanced level by selecting camera settings from the camera menu as well as making image adjustments and enhancements in Photoshop.
Add to Pathway (opens a new window)