Dec 09, 2023
PNN 622 - Clinical Practicum 2
Last Date of Approval: Fall 2020
Total Lecture Hours: 0
Total Lab Hours: 0
Total Clinical Hours: 180
Total Work-Based Experience Hours: 0
This clinical course is a requirement with PNN 621 Life Span Health Care for the practical nurse diploma program. This course provides an opportunity for students to apply Life Span Health Care theory in the clinical setting with clients throughout the lifespan. Emphasis is placed on the nursing process and clinical judgement to implement holistic, comprehensive nursing care. This course will prepare the student with clinical knowledge and skills for entry-level practical nursing.
Corequisites: PNN-621 Life Span Health Care
Prerequisites: PNN-127 Fundamentals of Nursing in Health Care
PNN-121 Clinical Practicum 1
PNN-206 Medication Administration for Nurses
Mode(s) of Instruction: Face to Face
Credit for Prior Learning: There are no Credit for Prior Learning opportunities for this course.
Course Fees: Simulation Center Access: $50.00
Common Course Assessment(s): Clinical is a pass/fail course. Weekly and summative achievement is assessed on the proficiency record. A “P” (satisfactory performance) must be achieved to pass the course. *All assessments are subject to change.
Student Learning Outcomes and Objectives:
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Apply the nursing process to clients in the clinical setting.
- Demonstrate the values, attributes, behaviors, ethics, and legal obligations appropriate to the practice of nursing.
- Apply beginning therapeutic communication skills.
- Demonstrate safe nursing care using clinical judgement to individuals across the lifespan along the health illness continuum.
- Assessment: Prepare for, assess, observe, interview and examine the client.
- Plan of Care:Organize data and prioritize client problems, Determine goal for client problem, Identify appropriate interventions for client’s needs, evaluate the effectiveness of the client’s plan of care.
- Demonstrates medication knowledge
- Reports and document assessment and care
- Provide a safe environment
- Evaluate his/her own self through daily journaling
- Display motivation and dependability
- Act professionally
- Perform and modify care
- Organize and complete clinical shift assignment.
- Make nursing judgements based on evidence-based practice
- Develop a professional relationship with the client and family
- Develop rapport with staff, instructor and peers.
Add to Pathway (opens a new window)