SDV 231 - Honors Capstone
Last Date of Approval: Spring 2021
Total Lecture Hours: 30
Total Lab Hours: 0
Total Clinical Hours: 0
Total Work-Based Experience Hours: 0
This course provides an opportunity for students to reflect on their experiences, as well as showcase their work while at Iowa Central Community College. Students will complete the required criteria for the Honors Program portfolio. This course will explore advanced topics which challenge students and encourage development of higher order thinking skills. The instructor and topic focus of this course may change each semester.
Prerequisites: SDV 230 - Introduction to Honors
Prerequisites/Corequisites: SDV 925 - Honors Service Learning Project and XXX-927 - Honors Study/Seminar Courses
Mode(s) of Instruction: traditional/face-to-face
Credit for Prior Learning: There are no Credit for Prior Learning opportunities for this course.
Course Fees: None
Common Course Assessment(s): ePortfolio
Student Learning Outcomes and Objectives:
- Write reports utilizing effective written communication skills.
- Prepare a presentation exhibiting effective oral communication skills.
- Analyze and then synthesize a broad range of material from various sources.
- Integrate scholarly thinking to evaluate problems, formulate hypotheses, research those problems, and draw conclusions about them
- Incorporate knowledge and logic when discussing an issue or an idea, while considering the consequences of their ideas, for themselves, for others, and for society, showing that they are independent and critical thinkers
Outcome 1: Communication
- Participate in small and large group discussions about various topics.
- Compose research and reflection summaries and essays.
- Complete an electronic portfolio.
- Prepare and present Honors Program accomplishments in both formal and non-formal settings.
Outcome 2: Data Interpretation
- Analyze and interpret real world data.
- Assess the importance of data interpretation.
Outcome 3: Scholarly thinking
- Summarize the main steps involved in scholarly thinking.
- Judge and support/refute past and current works of scholars.
Outcome 4: Critical Thinking
- Select a variety of current topics of interest and summarize their relevance.
- Integrate information from multiple disciplines to formulate arguments in regards to current topics of interest.
- Teach others about vital leadership characteristics.
Add to Pathway (opens a new window)