Sep 23, 2023
WEL 316 - Pipe Welding II
Last Date of Approval: Spring 2021
Total Lecture Hours: 15
Total Lab Hours: 30
Total Clinical Hours: 0
Total Work-Based Experience Hours: 0
This course is one of a two-semester sequence where students will become proficient in the theory and application of advance pipe welding. Emphasis is on safety, and welding in the 5G and 6G position. Welding processes used will be SMAW and the GTAW processes while welding with carbon steel and stainless steel pipe joints. Labs provide hands-on activities that help explain the lecture material. This course will help students refine their critical thinking skills in the shop as they develop their hands-on welding techniques, which will benefit the student in future welding careers. This course will also help students gain manufacturing communication skills to be used throughout their life.
Prerequisites: WEL 301 - Pipe Welding
Prerequisites/Corequisites: WEL 301 Pipe Welding I
Mode(s) of Instruction: Face-to-Face
Credit for Prior Learning: This course offers an opportunity for students to earn Credit for Prior Learning for skills that they have brought with them to Iowa Central. For more information, please ask the instructor and see the Iowa Central Community College catalog.
Course Fees: Course Materials: $130.00 and PPE Equipment: $475.00
Common Course Assessment(s): All assessments are common amongst all course sections
Student Learning Outcomes and Objectives:
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Safely apply proper welding techniques for welding pipe in the 5G position.
- Safely apply proper welding techniques for welding pipe in the 6G position.
- Determine welding variables in the 5G and 6G pipe to control undercut, reinforcement and penetration.
- Judge quality of work compared with acceptable standards and identify weld defects and take the necessary corrective action(s)
- State safety precautions and practice safety with these welding jobs and welding machines.
- Select proper tools to prepare and set up pipe joints properly.
- Apply a working knowledge of machine settings and changes when welding different pipe joints.
Add to Pathway (opens a new window)