Feb 26, 2024  
2021-2022 General Catalog 
2021-2022 General Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]



Academic Advisors

All students are assigned an academic advisor at the time of their first enrollment. Students are encouraged to meet with the advisor assigned to them as they specialize in their chosen academic path. The advisor assists students in the proper selection of courses, completion and/or transfer planning, retention, and success services. Students are encouraged to consult with their assigned advisor continuously throughout their time of study at Iowa Central. Advisors meet with each student a minimum of twice a year for this purpose. More frequent contact is encouraged.

Academic Load

The normal load for a student expecting to graduate in two years with an Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, or Associate of Professional Studies is 15 to16 credit hours per semester. Students expecting to graduate in two years with an Associate of Applied Science or Associate of Applied Arts are required to follow the offerings of their programs. Students may be advised in the number of credit hours they should carry based on individual progress. This advising strategy helps students succeed and is explained during enrollment. Iowa Central Community College calculates student enrollment according to the following credit load for fall and spring:

  • Full Time = 12+ credits
  • 3/4 Time = 9-11 credits
  • 1/2 Time = 6-8 credits
  • Less than 1/2 Time = <6 credits
Summer credit load:  
  • Full Time = 8+ credits
  • 3/4 Time = 6-7 credits
  • 1/2 Time = 4-5 credits
  • Less than 1/2 Time = <4 credits

These are commonly accepted credit load counts for reporting purposes for accrediting and state agencies.


Iowa Central Community College is a comprehensive college with an open-door admission policy. There is no application fee for admission to the College.

Ways to Apply

A student may be accepted by the College, however, some academic programs have additional admissions requirements to be considered for acceptance into those programs including academic qualifications and other criteria. Academic programs that have additional requirements are Associate Degree Nursing, Dental Hygiene, Emergency Medical Services, Medical Assistant, Medical Laboratory Technician, Practical Nursing, Radiologic Technology, and Professional Semi-Truck Driving program. To learn about these additional requirements, refer to the Applied Science and Technology Programs section of this catalog.

To Complete Enrollment Process:

  1. Submit Placement Test Scores
    Iowa Central uses exam results and/or high school GPA to determine placement in reading, writing, and math courses. Iowa Central will accept test scores from ACT, SAT, ACCUPLACER and ALEKS. The ACCUPLACER and ALEKS tests may be taken free of charge (first time) at all Iowa Central Campuses. Call 800-362-2793 for testing times.
  2. Submit Official Transcripts
    Along with your official high school transcript(s) or evidence of high-school equivalency, send official college transcript(s) from prior Colleges (including College credit courses taken while attending high school) to the Student Records Office to be evaluated. Official transcripts are important to the advising process and should be mailed prior to starting classes.
  3. Apply for Financial Aid
    Start early - the financial aid process can take time. Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible after October 1. File online at www.fafsa.ed.gov with Iowa Central’s school code (004597). It is necessary to reapply each year.
  4. Apply for Scholarships
    Iowa Central Community College and Iowa Central Community College Foundation offer a variety of scholarships to students. These scholarships are based on academic achievement, program interest, or activity involvement. Scholarships available can be viewed at http://www.iowacentral.edu/financial_aid/scholarships.asp.
  5. Apply for Housing
    Fully furnished apartment living is provided at Iowa Central. Students can fill out the housing application online at www.iowacentral.edu/housing. This application will not be processed until the Housing Office receives the non-refundable application fee ($125 Iowa Resident/$300 Non-Resident). Send application fee to Director of Housing or contact the Housing Office at 800-362-2793 ext. 1086 to pay by phone.
  6. Enroll for Classes and Complete Registration
    Students may enroll by phone, 800-362-2793, in person, or fill out the enrollment form on our website at www.iowacentral.edu/admissions/admissions_application.asp. Registration will not be final until the student’s minimum balance due is zero.

Admission - International

Prospective international students applying for Admission to Iowa Central Community College must:

  1. Complete an International Student Application
  2. Show evidence of their English proficiency by providing one of the following:
    1. TOEFL iBT (internet based) minimum score of 45, TOEFL computer based minimum score of 133, TOEFL paper based minimum score of 450, IELTS minimum score of 5, a Duolingo score of 75
    2. An official transcript showing a satisfactory grade (C or better) of a freshman-level English course at an approved U.S. college or university
    3. A high school transcript from a country where the English language is the basic language taught
  3. Submit a Statement of Financial Support to provide evidence of ability to meet educational and living expenses while a student.

International Students are not eligible for Federal or State-of-Iowa Financial Aid. Note: All F-1 international students must be enrolled full-time (12 semester credit hours or more) to be in compliance with Federal Immigration Laws.


  1. Iowa Central Community College requires all prospective international students from non-English speaking countries to submit a TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score or Duolingo score.
  2. International students will need either an iBT (internet based) minimum score of 45, TOEFL computer based minimum score of 133, TOEFL paper based minimum score of 450, IELTS minimum score of 5, or Duolingo score of 75 for acceptance.
  3. Students who score below a 45 TOEFL iBT, 133 TOEFL computer based, 450 TOEFL paper based, or 5 IELTS can take English as a Second Language classes to improve.
  4. Students who apply for the nursing program that are non-native speaker of “American English” will be required to submit TOEFL scores of 17 or above in each section-Reading, Listening, Speaking, and Writing.

Financial Aid

The purpose of Financial Aid is to provide assistance to students who might find it difficult to pay for college. The need for financial aid is determined by subtracting the expected family contribution from the estimated cost of attending Iowa Central Community College. The dollar amount of the expected family contribution is determined by the Federal Government through the Financial Aid application process (FAFSA). The Financial Aid Office then subtracts the expected contribution from the total estimated cost for the year and the difference is the financial need. Available financial aid is then offered to the student. The total financial aid award may not exceed the total estimated cost.

Financial aid is awarded to students contingent on the student attending and successfully completing coursework. Therefore, if a student decides to withdraw or to stop attending, students may be required to repay part of the financial aid to Iowa Central or the Department of Education. This policy applies to recipients who are receiving Federal Title IV funds which consist of Pell Grant, SEOG Grant, and Direct Loans. Students may obtain information on this policy from the Financial Aid Office.

See the Return of Title IV Funds Policy (R2T4) for more information.

Sources of Financial Aid

Federal Pell Grant

  • Federally funded gift aid.
  • Students must demonstrate need.
  • Students must be undergraduates.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

  • Federally funded gift aid administered by Iowa Central.
  • Students must demonstrate need.
  • Students must be an undergraduate.
  • Awards limited to funds available.

Work Study

  • Part-time work opportunities.
  • Federally or State funded and administered by Iowa Central.
  • Students must demonstrate need.
  • Awards limited to funds available.

Iowa Vocational-Technical Grant

  • Iowa resident students.
  • Enrollment in Career or Career Option programs.
  • Students must demonstrate need.

Iowa Kibbie Grant

  • Iowa resident students.
  • Enrollment in career technical or career option programs.
  • Students must demonstrate need.
  • Awards limited to funds available.

Iowa Last-Dollar Scholar

  • Iowa resident students
  • Enrollment in certain Career and Technical Education programs
  • Awards limited to funds available

Federal Direct Student Loan

  • Fixed interest loans
  • Students must demonstrate need for a subsidized Direct loan.
  • Maximum loan $5,500 for first year, $6,500 for second year (dependent student).

Federal Plus Loan

  • Loans available to parents of dependent students.
  • Financial need is not required.

Private Student Loans


Various businesses, organizations, and individuals donate money to Iowa Central for the purpose of funding scholarships for students. Some scholarships are awarded based on need or specific donor criteria. The scholarship application process occurs throughout the year. A comprehensive list of scholarship opportunities at Iowa Central can be found at this link: https://www.iowacentral.edu/financial_aid/scholarships.asp. Inquiries about specific awards may be made to the Financial Aid Office or Foundation Office.

Veterans’ Benefits

Qualified veterans and military members are eligible to use their education benefits through Veteran Affairs at Iowa Central Community College.  Early arrangements should be made with the Veterans Certifying Official on campus.  In order for benefits to be certified each term, students must contact the certifying official to complete the formal request.  To remain eligible for benefits, students must follow Iowa Central Community College’s Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards  .  All veterans and their immediate family are eligible for in-state tuition rates. 

Delayed VA Payments

Under Section 103 of the Veterans Benefits and Transition Act, Iowa Central will not impose a late fee, denial of access to facilities, or other penalties to a veteran (or eligible dependent or spouse) due to the late payment of tuition and/or fees from the VA (up to the certified benefits amount). Any portion of the student bill not covered by VA benefits is still expected to be settled by the due date.

Refund of Unearned Federal Tuition Assistance Aid

Federal Tuition Assistance refund policies align with the return of unearned student aid rules applicable to the Federal Student Aid guidelines under the Department of Education Title IV.

Additional Aid

Students are encouraged to seek information on financial aid in their own communities. Local service clubs and organizations, as well as national and state organizations may have financial aid to offer. The Financial Aid Office is available to assist students in identifying these sources. Non-resident students should check with their home state higher education agency for information about their home state’s aid.

Applications Procedures

To be considered for financial assistance at Iowa Central students must:

  1. Apply and be accepted by the college.
  2. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (school code is 004597). Students may apply online at https://studentaid.gov.
  3. Complete any additional documentation requested by Iowa Central. This documentation may include a copy of your and/or your parent’s/parents’ federal tax return.
  4. Financial Aid Offers are made on a first-come, first-serve basis as students’ files are completed. Financial Aid notifications are usually made to students in the late spring and early summer.

When to Apply for Financial Aid

Applications are available after October 1 each year. It is necessary to reapply each year. For best considerations of all types of aid, the application must be submitted by March 1. Pell Grants, Direct Loans, and Parent PLUS Loans are available after March 1, but other aid may already be committed.

General Eligibility Requirements

All students seeking Financial Aid must

  1. Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment in a program at least six months in length,
  2. Intend to complete the program and receive a degree related to the educational objective,
  3. Have a high school diploma or recognized equivalent,
  4. Be a United States citizen or eligible non-citizen,
  5. Not be in default for any previous loans disbursed,
  6. Not owe a refund on any previous Federal Student Aid, and
  7. Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards .  


Freshman orientations are offered throughout the summer. Our orientation gives students and parents the opportunity to learn more about the multiple resources available at Iowa Central and to finalize any necessary paperwork. If students are unable to attend an in-person orientation, an online option is available. Please contact Admissions with questions.

Residency Policy Guidelines

In determining a community college resident or non-resident classification, the primary determination is the reason a person is in the state of Iowa. The second determination will be the length of time a person has resided in Iowa. If a person is in the state primarily for educational purposes, that person will be considered a non-resident. The burden of establishing the reason a person is in Iowa for other than educational purposes rests with the student.

  1. The Enrollment Management & Student Development Office may require written documents, affidavits, or other related evidence deemed necessary to determine why a student is in Iowa. The burden of proof is upon the student. A student will be required to file at least two documents to determine their residency status. No two documents may come from the same source. The following are examples of acceptable documentation:
    • Iowa driver’s license
    • Iowa vehicle registration card
    • Iowa state income tax return (signed and dated)
    • Iowa voter registration card
    • Proof of Iowa Homestead credit on property taxes
    • Written and notarized documentation from an employer that the student is employed in Iowa
  2. If you are not a U.S. citizen, but are a permanent resident, you must provide a copy of your U.S. Permanent Resident Card with your residency application.
  3. All documents must be dated at least 90 days prior to the start of the term you are requesting residency for.
  4. These documents must be submitted prior to the first day of the semester for which you are registering. Residency cannot be re-classified once the semester begins.
  5. If you are an international student please refer to the Request For Determination of Residency Status Application.

Student Identification Card

Students living off campus must go to Student Records to obtain a Photo ID. Each student must have an ID to check out library materials, attend events around campus, and pick-up financial aid refund checks in the Business Office. Students must have their minimum payment made on their bill before an ID is issued. The ID is valid for an entire academic year. Students will be issued their first ID at no charge. A replacement fee of $5.00 will be assessed for the first replacement and $25.00 for each additional replacement. Replacement fees can be paid in cash or charged to the Iowa Central student’s account at the time the replacement ID is issued.

Tuition and Fees

Flat Rate Tuition (12-18 credit hours)  
Iowa Resident $3,000.00                                
Bordering State $3,100.00
Non-Resident $4,325.00



Tuition and Fees (1 - 11 and 19+ credit hours)                                                              
Iowa Resident Tuition $184.00 per hour
Bordering State Tuition $189.00 per hour
Non-Resident Tuition $271.50 per hour
Student Fee $24.00 per hour
Graduation Fee (per degree, diploma, cert.) $25.00
Deferred Payment Charge $25.00








Students residing in a bordering state of Iowa can receive a reduced rate in tuition if they qualify.

  1. Must have a high school GPA of 3.0 or higher
  2. Reside in Illinois, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, South Dakota, or Wisconsin

The student fee is the only fee that is refundable on a pro-rated basis.

8-Week Online Program*

8-Week Online students who are enrolled less than full time (1-11 credits) will be charged an additional fee of $75/credit hour.

Online program Military students are considered Iowa residents.

* Subject to change. Individual courses may also have additional fees.


Tuition and applicable fee adjustments are made for drops/withdrawals according to the following schedule:

15-week semester refund  
Session days 1 - 5 100%
Session days 6 - 10 75%
Session days 11 - 15 50%





Session days are defined as Monday through Friday. Session day count begins with the beginning date of the College term.

Tuition and applicable fee refunds for courses or sessions shorter than fifteen (15) weeks will have proportionally shorter refund periods or as otherwise defined for the class. For example, shorter online classes may only entail an extended 100% refund with no option of 75% or 50% refund periods.

Transfer of College Credit into Iowa Central Community College

When evaluating transcripts from other regionally accredited, post-secondary institutions, Iowa Central considers the guidelines of AACRAO (the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers). Iowa Central requires a paper copy of an official transcript sent by the other college to the Student Records Office before credit is placed on the Iowa Central transcript.

Only courses required by the student and current program of study are transferred into Iowa Central.

Military credit transferring in is based on ACE (American Council on Education) recommendations. Credit may also be granted on the basis of scores earned on the Subject Standardized Test of the Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Educational Support (DANTES). Official copies of transcripts showing such work are required for credit evaluation.

Sixteen (16) hours of Vocational-Technical credit applies toward the sixteen (16) hours of elective credit for the AA degree.

Transfer credit is granted by Iowa Central based on the credits granted at the awarding institution. Quarter hours of credit are converted to semester hours. Iowa Central multiplies the quarter-hour by 0.66 to calculate the equivalent semester hour. Other unusual credit granting options are looked at based on the narrative on the reverse side of the sending college transcript.

Students are responsible for monitoring their transfer of credit into Iowa Central. Students are encouraged to provide course descriptions or other documentation about their transfer credit if they do not agree with the Registrar’s evaluation of their credit. Transfer credit appears on the Iowa Central degree audit with the label of TE.

International Transcripts:

Any prospective student (international, permanent resident, or U.S. Citizen) who is applying for admission and who has attended a college or university outside the United States must have their international transcript(s) translated and evaluated by one of the agencies listed below. The evaluation must be sent from the agency directly to Iowa Central Community College, Attn: Student Records Office, One Triton Circle, Fort Dodge, Iowa 50501.

InCred Evaluations - InCred is the official credential evaluation service of the NJCAA. Student athletes should use this service.
120 W 12th Street, Suite 700
Kansas City, MO 64105 U.S.

Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.
P.O. Box 514070
Milwaukee, WI 53203

Global Education Group, Inc.
1205 Lincoln
Road, Suite 218
Miami Beach, FL 33139

International Education Research Foundation, Inc.
P.O. Box 3665
Culver City, CA 90231

Transfer of College Credit to Regent Universities

Iowa’s Regent universities and community colleges have joined to create a web portal dedicated to assisting students with the transfer process. The site serves as a one-stop resource for students planning their future: www.transferiniowa.org

Each year, thousands of students transfer from Iowa community colleges to one of the state’s three public universities. Transferring from one college to the next can be a big step, but need not be complicated. The website contains resources helpful in educational planning as well as information for students to discuss with their counselor or advisor.

The number one question transfer students ask is: How will my credits transfer? Students can learn about how their community college courses transfer to each of the three state public universities by following the links on the website. The website contains resources explaining statewide articulation agreements and individual program-to-program articulation agreements by community colleges. These resources are useful for students planning to transfer as well as counselors and advisors. In addition to online resources, it’s always a good idea for students to discuss their plans with both a community college and university counselor or advisor. Contact information for the office or person responsible for transfer and articulation at each postsecondary institution is available on the site.